A great little exercise stolen from one of the Musers.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Wrote professionally. Obituaries, actually. For Encyclopaedia Britannica. There have been stranger internships. Also, body modification.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any this year! It was part of this plan to destress my life. I have a bunch for this year, though.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I was firmly in America during 2011.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Valentine’s Day, for sadness. Also the whole week of my birthday, because it was insanely dramatic. July 4th.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I finished the second draft of Time Travel Book, so that was pretty cool. I also received an amazing internship and reevaluated my career goals.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being brave.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I took birth control for the first time and ALMOST DIED. Also I was debilitatingly ill over my birthday week, and had to take these ridiculous pills to keep me from exploding all over the car as my mom and I raced back home from the beach… like I said, that week was dramatic.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone’s, to be honest. I have amazing people in my life.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Christmas presents, clothes. All my clothes died this year. It was really sad.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My sister’s part in Aida at MoCo College. Summertime. Being accepted to STUDY ABROAD IN PARIS WHEEEEEE. All the issues of Shimmer that we put out.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
“Dog Days are Over” by Florence + the Machine. Too many good times with the sister to count.
17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
In a quiet way, yeah.
Oh God yes.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading books for fun. Eating good food. Lying in the sun.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying. Making plans that were secretly attempts at sabotage.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Family, as always. Wait. Was I supposed to do this thing before Christmas?? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
30 Rock. I watched it with Angry Roommate.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
I loved many books, including:
THE SUN ALSO RISES, Ernest Hemingway
THE ALCHEMY OF STONE, Ekaterina Sedia
IMAGINARY GIRLS, Nova Ren Suma
JUDE THE OBSCURE, Thomas Hardy
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
SO MANY BANDS: The aforementioned Florence + the Machine, Cage the Elephant, The Strokes, Muse. Others I’m forgetting. I also bought all the Metric records I hadn’t, and omg omg omg
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Captain America, probably. Superhero + period piece = AHMAZING. Super 8 was a close second.
31. What did you do on your birthday. And how old were you?
Beach times, followed by severe illness. I turned 20.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A permanent cat-buddy.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Classic Americana bohemian punk-rock neo-hipster.
34. What kept you sane?
The Musers, the Musers, the Musers. My amazing friends. Angry Roommate.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don’t remember. Possibly Carrie Mulligan?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Birth control rights for women.
37. Whom did you miss?
An old friend and lover. Julia, currently in kitty-heaven. Idealistic Sophie. It’s okay though. I’m going to figure out how to bring her back.